Using the internet to adopt a pet
If you want to bring a pet into your world, why not consider adoption. There are many pets looking for homes. Adopting a pet
from a reputable organisation or shelter can mean that the animal has been vaccinated, de-sexed and had other important treatments that won’t have to worry about.
Thanks to the internet, potential pet owners are being connected with more and more pets seeking homes.
How can you do adopt a pet?
- Start by doing an online search for animal adoption agencies, shelters and organisations in your area. First step is to check their website and see what information is available. Many agencies will have an online form that you can complete. This then helps them to see what animals they are currently trying to home that could be a match for you.
- Provide as much information as you can about what you want. Be flexible and open and you will have more chance of finding the perfect pet. Remember that while you might have images of playing with a puppy or kitten, older animals make wonderful pets too. They would have most likely been trained and will become an instant companion!
- Use social media. Social media has become such a fantastic tool for existing and potential pet owners. Most adoption agencies and animal shelters have their own Facebook page and will post (sometimes multiple times a day!) photos of animals looking for a home. This makes it easier for you! All you need to do is follow the page and keep an eye out.
- See if there are any options to sign-up to a newsletter or email alerts. These will come straight to your inbox.
- Widen your search. While it’s a great idea to start local and support shelters in your area, look further afield. When it comes to finding the right match, you will of course need to meet and pick your pet up. So, you may not want to go too far, but have a look in surrounding suburbs.
When you adopt an animal, you will also have the expertise, advice and support of the shelter or agency you are dealing with. Staff will be able to give you lots of tips and advice Adoption is a wonderful way to support animals and give them a loving life.