If you’re not confident of handling your dog in a class environment or out in public
We will help you build the relationship between you and your dog and help you understand what’s he’s telling you
Welcome to Paws Up Dog Training
Is your dog:
- Barking constantly?
- Destroys things?
- Pulling on the lead?
- Aggression towards people/dogs?
- Separation Anxiety?
- Hyperactivity or obsession?
- Nervousness or timidity?
- Ignoring your requests?
Did you mentally tick 1 or more items on the list above?
Would you like a solution that will resolve the issues of unwanted behaviour? You may be relinquishing your pack leadership without knowing it. Dogs do not understand our human world so we have to take time to introduce them to it in a positive enhancing way. ‘Paws Up Dog Training’, located in the Sutherland shire uses gentle dog obedience training and behaviour modification techniques to improve your relationship with your puppy or dog.
You will learn to establish your leadership through understanding canine communication and building a relationship with your dog that everyone in your family will enjoy.
In Home Private Dog Training
Some reasons to consider to train at home are if you’re aware that your dog has a behavioural problem and not sure how to handle it.
These might include:
- Resource guarding of a toy or food
- Over protectiveness of a family member
- Being aggressive towards family members or visitors
- If you’re not sure of how your dog will react in a group situation
- Private training enables the owner and dog to feel secure in their own home which makes the dog less stressed and easier to train and therefore the dog learns at their own pace without any ‘threats’ as the dog may see it.
About in a nutshell
Jodie is a Sutherland Shire dog trainer who has many years of experience with birds, cats, horses and dogs. Dogs are her main passion and she uses only positive techniques to improve the relationship between you and your canine friend. Jodie is a qualified Instructor with Certificate IV Delta Accredited and a member of Association of Pet Dog Trainers.
The four week course will help you to understand how to communicate with your dog. It will give you a basic understanding of general obedience and build confidence for both you and your dog. Our classes encourage all owners to have fun in training their dogs and use positive reward based training techniques.
Some of the things that you and your dog will learn are:
- How dogs learn
- Learn how to get your dogs attention
- What is body blocking
- Teach, sit, come when called, stand, drop, stay, roll over
- How to read body language and what it means
- We address jumping up, biting, stealing socks/shoes etc.
- Loose lead walking
- Meet and greet other owners and dogs on lead, nicely
- Teach them to go to their mat/ to bed
- Food bowl exercises
- Street walk
Puppy Class venue and times:
- Venue: Dogue Gymea – Gymea Bay Road
- Time: 6.30pm Thursday evenings
- Duration: 4 x 1 hour sessions
BASIC Class venue and times:
- Venue: 43 Achilles Road, Engadine (beside Anzac Oval)
- Duration: 6 x 1 hour sessions
- Saturday & Sunday mornings at 8.30am
- Tuesday evenings at 6.45pm (Daylight savings only)
INTERMEDIATE Class venue and times:
- Venue: 43 Achilles Road, Engadine (beside Anzac Oval)
- Duration: 6 x 1 hour sesssions
- Saturday mornings at 9.30am
- Loose Lead Walking
- 3 week course just to focus on how to teach your dog to walk beside you.
- Does he pull you down the street?
- Are your arms tired after a walk?
- Does he listen to you when you see other people/dogs out walking?
- If you’ve answered yes to any of the above questions then book in now to make his daily exercise enjoyable for you both.
Private Dog Training
- Our experienced Instructor comes to your house at a time convenient for you
- You sit down and go through any specific concerns that you have with the instructor
- The Instructor explains training theory and how to apply it.
- The instructor will work with you to show you how to change/manage each problem
- The instructor then leaves you with a training plan to work with the dog every day. It’s over to you as to how much time you put into it.
- The instructor will follow up with you 1-2 weeks after the consultation to review progress and see that you’re on the right track. In the meantime you can contact the instructor for guidance if needed.
- A follow up in-home visit might be needed if you wish to check that you’re following the right path and work on anything else that is required
"After twelve months of vets and medication I was at my wits end, my thirteen month old Staffie was a nightmare, only a mother could love him. Gibb’s vet recommended I have him put to sleep, I was devastated. As a last resort I engaged Jodie as his and my person trainer, with effort and time Gibbs showed vast improvement and we could not have been happier. It is amazing with routine, love, patience and guidance from Jody what a beautiful boy he is. Thank you Jody."
"My dog midnite and I did Jodies class and WOW I have a completely different dog. With Jodies training I have been able to teach Midnite not to jump up on everyone and stop unecessary barking. The training Jodie provides really works. Thank you Jodie and high five from Midnite"
"We attended Jodies classes and are truely grateful for what we learnt. Jodies is a passionate trainer and the technique taught really works. Jett (our muched loved labradoodle) is now a well behaved member of our family. Our walks are enjoyable, with no pulling and no reacting to other dogs. Jett graduated with “The Best Bang”, which I felt very proud. Jodie taught ME how to train Jett. I highly recommend Jodies classes."
"Jodie has been great in helping our ‘rescued’ puppy adjust to life with us (and us to life with him!). We had a private consultation and attended basic training. He is now much more settled. He responds well to other people, plays nicely at the dog park and is patient with his food. We highly recommend Paws Up Dog Training and hope to continue on to the intermediate and advanced courses one day."
Sutherland Shire Dog Training Classes Available – Basic, Intermediate & Advanced. Call Jodie to book your place on
0409 079 944